5 min read

Is technology the solution to healthier free-roaming dog populations?

Written by
Full Name
Published on
22 January 2021

While not a common sight in most of Canada or the U.S., free-roaming dogs are definitely considered normal in many places around the world.

Millions of dogs live everywhere from remote villages to rural communities to the streets of busy cities. You see them living on beaches, in public parks, and around markets and tourist attractions. Wherever there are people, there are dogs. Some are pets or community dogs that roam, others are former pets that have been abandoned, while others are completely feral animals.

The global dog population is estimated to be around 900 million, with only around 20 per cent having a guardian. The other 80 per cent are the millions of nameless feral or abandoned animals with unknown stories.

The lucky ones are cared for by members of the community and live happily as community dogs, but many others are strays that suffer terribly from malnutrition and disease.

Animal health management is a complex issue.

It is also an issue that’s becoming increasingly urgent to discuss. If the pandemic has taught us anything, it’s that animal and human health are closely linked.

The problem is not a lack of caring in communities; it can often bea lack of the necessary resources to provide proper veterinary care. But even if there is sufficient veterinary care, a major obstacle is keeping track of large amounts of health data in an efficient and sustainable way.

With the significant health challenges presented by stray and free-roaming dogs, (and cats and cows and goats and horses and camels ... but we’re starting with dogs), a major part of the solution for sustainable animal welfare is technology.

GoChip’s technology solution.

GoChip Animal Technology provides this much-needed solution with state-of-the-art animal identification hardware and data management software.

Our revolutionary system of identification and data management starts with a unique digital ID assigned to each dog. This ID, as well as health and other relevant data, is stored on an implantable microchip and/or an external smart-phone readable collar or ear tag. All the data is then stored and organized on a user-friendly software platform that can efficiently manage data for thousands of dogs, including vital vaccination and sterilisation status.

Collaboration is key.

With our system, all trusted stakeholders in an animal’s life can access this data and easily collaborate.

Because animal management takes a huge community of people in a wide-range of roles, from vets helping injured dogs to rescues and humane societies managing dog populations to policy-makersseeking solutions for entire communities.

GoChip’s technology is designed and built with one primary goal –to make the jobs of the hard-working people in government and animal welfare easier as they strive to improve the lives of animals and the health of communities in which they live.

Check out three incredible animal welfare organizations using GoChip technology:

Worldwide Veterinary Service (WVS)  
Mission Rabies    
Ukraine War Animals Relief Fund (UWARF)  

Want to be part of this important conversation?
Don’t hesitate to contact us if you’d like to know more about GoChip technology and how we can help manage animal populations.
We’d love to chat!